Friday, July 13, 2007

The Beginning

As a Canadian with two Kiwi parents and the rest of the relatives in NZ and Australia, I caught the rugby bug early on. The first live game I saw was Canterbury v Australia in the late 1970's and I first played rugby in Vancouver. My high school rugby coach was on the Canadian team which played in the first Rugby World Cup in 1987. As soon as I showed an interst in Rugby my Dad immediately pointed out that the only team worth watching was the mighty All Blacks! I started following them through the 1987 World Cup and was hooked.

Since that time I have followed the All Blacks once to Cardiff, twice to Twickenham and once to Lansdown Road for the fall tours. In 2003 I went to see the Tri Nations vs SA at the House of Pain and the Beldisloe Cup match at Eden Park. Most recently I went to Eden Park to see the AB v Ireland game in 2006 and mixed in the inagural Super 14 final at Jade in the fog! I have managed to get tickets to the 2007 RWC Final in Paris if the All Blacks make it, (or should I saw when!) and that will be absolutely stellar!

I manage to catch all the All Blacks tests on MediaZone as there doesn't seem to be much television coverage for any rugby in Canada. The Rugby Roundtable podcast is a great way of staying up to date as well. I am going to post my thoughts and comments on each remaining game of the tri nations and every AB game in the World Cup, I welcome all comments!

4 comments:

Soxfan'75 said...

Screw the All-Blacks! I'm going for England (that is unless Canada goes all the way). Why would I cheer for a country that was made up of people not good enough to live in Australia? If I want to stoop to cheering for a team from "down under" then the Wallabies and the Springboks are better choices.It's northern hemisphere all the way (except for France- stick to making wine boys).

Nathan said...

England eh? Good luck with that!
I guess you are pinning your hopes on Johnny Wilkinson coming back from his many injuries. Oh by the way, the Springboks are not "down under" they are from South Africa. I will agree with you on the France comment though, good luck getting out of your pool games!

Anonymous said...

Soxfan '75--- If you knew anything about history, you would also know that Australia used to be where all the English convicts were shipped- so, Aussies are simply descendants of English criminals, with better teeth. If England is so great, why in hell would they wear pansy jersies with Roses on them?? Have you even ever been to an International test? I didn't think so....GO BLACKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure where you are in Ontario...but here in Ottawa you can watch the games at the Georgetown and Heart and Crown...both have Setanta. It does involve some early mornings though! But there are definitely places to go to catch some games. I caught the Super 14 most weekends down at the pub, though it's sometimes too tempting to stay in my jammies and watch them live online...!